Popular Posts

Friday, January 29, 2010

The power of Intergenerational Mentorship 3

Yesterday I wrote about the vagrant disrespect among our culture for our elders. This disrespect carries into our congregations as well. the bible talks numerous times about the value of the older teaching the younger and vice versa, yet how many of us actually do it? How many of us allow someone older in the faith ( not necessarily the color of the hairs on their head) train us in how to be more godly? It wasn't until just recently 9 over the past year and a half) that I started to understand the value. I joined a bible study. The ladies range in age from me the youngest to age 80.  It had soon become a family to me, and I have learned a lot. Now, it would have been easy for me to say because I am a pastors' wife, I don't need to be trained. But, I would have been doing myself a great disservice if I had not joined them in humility looking to be trained. I have joined another one where I am one of the younger members. They like having a " pastor's wife") there and I bring a lot to the table. However, I wouldn't be able to bring the confidence about my knowledge if it were not for the other bible study.
There is definitely some value to being humble enough to " spur one another on toward love and good deeds." If only the churches would encourage their congregation to sharpen each other, it would help change the face of Christianity today. 

No comments:

Post a Comment