Popular Posts

Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Authenticity is not authenticity without consistency

So, I was home all day yesterday recovering from a sinus infection. In between naps I watched TV. In my boredom I watched an episode of American Idol from last year.  I watched as some beautifully executed ( and some horribly butchered ) country music. Then came Adam Lambert. As I watched, emotions boiled inside of me that I had felt numerous times before. It wasn't dislike over his singing style, or rebellion at the judges for manipulating me into liking him, but hurt. Hurt over the fact that he used me and he used every viewer that watched him. In interviews when asked about his sexual preference, he said " I know who I am."  He has also stated that the American idol producers allowed him to handle his orientation any way he wanted. Yet, he put on a mask and pretended to be someone he wasn't for the sake of gaining votes. As soon as he was not under the banner of the same show that made him famous, he let the world know all about him  in between the pages of Rolling Stone.  The problem that I have with it is not his sexual preferences, but the fact he wasn't honest with everyone from the beginning., For someone who claimed he was authentic, and whom the judges said was authentic from the first auditions, why wasn't he authentic with his fans? He wasn't simply because he didn't think people would vote for him. So, how is that authenticity? Why didn't he try to include a performance like the one on the AMAs into a week on American Idol? Perhaps it would have been a perfect fit on " most downloadable songs" week or " songs from the year you were born " week.
Authenticity is not authenticity without consistency.  Without consistency, the message becomes nothing but but something to shock people, but when the shock wears off, has no substance.

No comments:

Post a Comment