Popular Posts

Tuesday, February 9, 2010

The Lack of Authenticity of Adam Lambert

I went onto Youtube the other day and watched Adam Lambert's performance on Oprah. now, I'm embarrassed to admit I actually liked the performance. But, that's the thing.I like him, some of his songs are even less screechy than I envisioned, but I don't know who he is. Frankly, I'm not sure he knows either.  He spoke about the infamous AMA performance,  which he said he " stood by", and that he understood why people got upset.  So, here's the question: would he do it again if he had the opportunity? I think if he was less about the image, less about the barriers he wants to break down , less about the resurgence of glam rock, and more about his talent, and refining his skills, he could be a wonderful performer. What I struggle with, however, is his unauthentic persona. He makes believe and many people believe he is self- confident, but you must look more closely. At one moment, he stands by it, next moment he understands it,. The next moment he is on Oprah, with not even a hint of impropriety, next moment he is giving the finger to Rolling Stone. We saw him in concert on the AI tour last year. His lisp was so bad he ruined the very song he received a standing ovation for. On Oprah, he spoke as clearly as he did on AI. He is playing the game like all of us I guess.   It's too bad. He could be a really big star. If only he knew who he was.

No comments:

Post a Comment