Popular Posts

Friday, December 4, 2009

The Power of Action

I have the privilege of speaking at a church conference  in Feb.  and have been wrestling with my subject matter.  I have been reflecting on the idea that spiritual growth comes from action before knowledge, not the other way around. I know there are verses that talk about " being a well watered garden" after  exhibiting the desired attributes, but didn't quite know where else to go. I was in my chiropractor's office ( who is a Christian) and he had Colossians 1:9-10 as one of his daily verses on his desk: "For this reason, since the day we hear about you, we have not stopped praying for you and asking God  to fill you with the knowledge of his will through all spiritual wisdom and understanding . And we pray this in order that you may live a life worthy of the Lord and may please Him in every way: bearing fruit in every good work, growing in the knowledge of God ..."
I know as Christians we devour every Christian book, watch every movie, and listen to every speaker we can get our hands on in order to "grow" spiritually.  
The reality is, if you want to grow, you have to act.  You want to grow in kindness, be kind,. You want to grow in forgiveness, forgive. 
We know how to do it.   We just have to do it. 
Even when we don't  feel like it.
Especially when we don't feel like it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment