Popular Posts

Tuesday, December 8, 2009

The packaging is Everything

I am attracted to shiny objects. I really am.   I can turn my head from a mile away if something catches my eye. It might be the phoniest item there, but if it is packaged right, it will grab my attention. In the same way, if we package Christ in a way that is condescending or arrogant, many people won't want to open the package. 
Now, I know what you are thinking. You're thinking " God is not something to be packaged or wrapped or any sort of gimmick  to get people to like Him."  That is true. However, we have spent all of our time showing the world what we are against, and not what we are for and we have made an unbelieving world turn their head in disgust. 
I realize the apostles preached and said what was on their heart and mind wherever and whenever God led them. I also realize that John The Baptist never watered down his message to get his point across. Then, dear reader, you must also realize the end to that story..... HE WAS BEHEADED!  
Not a very happy ending.   Bottom line is, we cannot preach the same way as the apostles.  Think we should? Then, perhaps we should bring back the whole stoning and crucifixion thing, too....
I have a friend who runs a food pantry. Her life exudes Christ and Him crucified. Why? Because she is living among the broken everyday. She meets their need, cares for them and  gives them a foundation of Christ that cannot be denied. People are attracted to her for the same reason.  Does she water down her message because she is not announcing with a microphone: " Repent , for the Kingdom of God is near?"
A life lived everyday in obedience to who God really is may never have to say a word about who He is. People will already know.
All because of the packaging. 

No comments:

Post a Comment