Popular Posts

Friday, February 12, 2010

Always look at the context

We have been studying 1 John in our small group. I prepared some background info for it which helped me gain a better understanding of the context in which it was written. I never realized John wrote those letters in the midst of a church split and that there was a lot of strife associated with the community to which he was writing.  Now, if I hadn't prepared the info, I never would have understood the full context of this split. In fact, it would have gone right over my head! I learned that I always need to understand the full context of my circumstances in order to make a good decision about it. It can be anything from a conflict with a friend to the reason behind my bad attitude.  What might be some underlying reasons/ sins, etc. that is allowing me to engage in that situation?
Do you know the context behind your circumstances today?

No comments:

Post a Comment