Popular Posts

Tuesday, January 26, 2010

God doesn't care about your happiness

697. This is the number of times the word love is used in the Bible- 257 in the New Testament alone. 
56. That's the number the word forgive is used. 
Guess how many times the word happiness is used? 6.
And out of that 6 only 1 time does it refer to our own happiness, the rest were about someone else's happiness.
So, if these are the stats, why do we care more about what makes us happy in the Christian life than about other people's happiness?
John, the disciple closest to Jesus, is said to talk about love more than any other person. In fact, his 3 Epistles's main theme is argued by some to be " Love one another."
Not what I love. Or love me. 
Love one another.
If we claim to be a Christian, and worry more about what makes me happy than about the welfare of others, isn't that a bit hypocritical?
Yet, that's what we get fed, isn't it?
My church. My devotional time. My sin. My personal relationship with jesus.
My....My...My...
The best 4 words I have ever read in a book come from Rick Warren's Purpose Driven Life. 
These words encapsulate the whole point of the book. 
The whole point of the Gospel.
They are this:
"It's not about you."


No comments:

Post a Comment