Popular Posts

Wednesday, January 6, 2010

The Power of Words

My son has been in a pahase of missing his dad and crying when he goes to work in the morning. It hasn't really bothered me, since sons always have a special affection for their fathers. However, today I went to write a note in his lunch so that he can see it when he opens his lunchbox at lunchtime, and when I showed him and asked him what it said , he gave me this look and said " you don't have to write me notes every time ". I was crushed. Then when I went to drop him off, he went right over to the activity table and without a word began playing. 
I guess this morning I got a small glimpse of what God feels for His children when they turn away from him. I don't mean blatantly ( although I'm sure it grieves His heart just as much) but when we treat each other with disrespect, disdain or contempt. When we lack faith and trust ourselves over God's sovereignty. When we reject the greatest commandment " Love the Lord your God with all your heart, soul and mind , and love your neighbor as yourself." When we treat others as less than us, and don't " walk humbly with our God."  After he saw I was upset, he said " Well, maybe you can." But, I knew he didn't mean it. He was only doing it to appease his own guilt.  I think I understand now when people came to God with their leftovers and expected to sacrifice them as an atonement for their sins.  I think that crushed me more than his words, but the whole situation crushed me just the same.  I hope, dear reader, you will be challenged, as I have been, to think about the words you use towards God and others.  The words you use have the power to literally crush those around you. 
Do your words edify, or crush those around you?

No comments:

Post a Comment