Popular Posts

Monday, January 4, 2010

There Were no Chinks in her armor

This is a quote from the book The Tangible Kingdom. Made me think and I hope it makes you think, too...
"I was now on the hunt for any chink in her armor ( not that she even knew I thought she was wearing armor)...I began by asking her what the most important in life to her. 'That's easy' she said, 'My work and my community of friends'.' Darn,' I thought, 'she used the community word.' For the first time in my life, I felt I didn't have anything to offer.
'I'm sorry I never asked you what you did for work.' ' I'm a pastor, 'I said. She asked what type of church?' Oh,' I said, 'just your average Christian church.' What happened next will always be deeply embedded in my mind. She gently reached down, grabbed both of my hands, looked me right in the eyes, and said ' Oh, I'm sure that must be heard to do. I've never found anything attractive about any church or christians I've ever met. I will pray for you.' And then she recited some celtic blessing over me that sounded like it came straight from the very mouth of Saint Patrick. She left, and I just stood there babbling to myself. I had just been blessed by some woman who genuinely felt sorry for me because she perceived me to be the poor, searching one. She literally had no chinks." 
What happens when you try to evangelize, and the "literally have no chinks?"

No comments:

Post a Comment