Popular Posts

Tuesday, November 3, 2009

The gospel is a sales pitch

I turned on the TV Friday  night just for some background noise. Soon, i heard the ever-catchy Men at Work song " Be Good, Johnny" which is the Supernanny theme song.  So, I stopped what I was doing and watched for a while.  Now, i like watching it, probably because it makes me put my own parenting skills into perspective, and to help me realize I'm not the worst parent in the world.  Soon I'm engrossed as Supernanny introduces her next clever parenting technique.  I start to think " I can do that, too."  I'm happy that ABC airs this show for parents like me. For a moment. Then I think " How many children does Jo have?" Then I come to a sobering reality.  The answer is none. 
They are nice techniques to make every parent feel like they can take control of their out-of-control homes.  But,what does that mean in the mundane parts of the everyday? They are nice ideas that  make me wanna get out the glitter and glue. But, what happens when the sticker charts, supper wheels and reflection rooms fail?  When the day has tarried on for so long that  you  don't even want to look in the direction of the kitchen, let alone let the children decide to spin the supper wheel?
Jo has all the knowledge, the skills and techniques to a tee.  But what she fails to have is the real life experience. 
Why do we think we can pass off our christianity as real life experience, when in reality we have not had a real life experience with the Lord? If we lack the intimacy of  the ups and downs with the Lord, anything else is a sales pitch. 

2 comments:

  1. Hey Michelle, I just found your blog and have been enjoying your writing. I am back-tracking so I can get the whole picture. I sure agree with you on this one. I am deffinately not fully "experienced" as a Christian, but as I look back on my life when I cringe at all the knowledge that I thought I had. God is so good in testing our faith and our walk with Him by the trials that come our way as well as the everyday. Recently ( over the past 4 years) I have been going down the path of cancer, and I find it interesting that during treatments etc., it is so easy to be week and lean on Him. But after that "excitement" is all done, living a day to day life with my children etc., I struggle to really glorify Him in all I do...so crazy...so much more to learn!!
    Tammy Winter

    ReplyDelete
  2. sorry Tammy, just found your comment. I am sorry to hear about your cancer. I'm glad the treatments went well and you have recovered. Thanks for tasking the time to read it! Love you guys, and tell Eldon his fB faces creep me out a bit! =) Would love it if you became a follower of my blog- I'd be honored!

    ReplyDelete