Popular Posts

Wednesday, November 18, 2009

The Power of Preparation

I have a preparer's heart. I always have.  In fact, I have already purchased my Christmas cards, wrap and most of my presents, and it is not even Thanksgiving yet! I do this not to be boastful about how good or organized I am, but because I'm trying to avoid the inevitable "rush" that accompanies all Christmases. You know the one I am talking about. The rush that comes when you are writing Christmas cards the night before and rushing to get them in the mail on the last day so they are on time.  Or, the one where you find yourself in the middle of Walmart on Christmas eve searching through the picked-over shelves to find the last minute ingredients to your Christmas day feast.  I prepare ahead of time so I can enjoy what is to come: the joy and magic  of a season unlike any other. A season where Jesus oftentimes gets lost in the hustle and bustle of these "rushes." My preparation of doing a little bit at a time saves me a lot of stress, not only on my body but also in my wallet. 
The Bible also talks about preparedness, believe it or not. It is most readily found in "the parable of the ten virgins."  Basically, for those that can't remember it, is a story where 5 virgins have their oil ready in preparation to light the way for them when their groom comes to sweep them off their feet.  Five, however, were not.  Five begged the other  five to give them their leftover oil. When the women say no, the five go away with the groom, and five are left "holding the bag", or in this case, their empty lamps. 
They missed out on the prize of going away with their groom.  And were left empty-handed. 
Are you prepared for your groom to take you away? Or are you stuck empty-handed?

No comments:

Post a Comment