Popular Posts

Friday, November 27, 2009

The Black Friday Phenomenon

I didn't think I could let this day go by without talking a little bit about my Black Friday experience.  No, i wasn't up at 5 am, but i did go around 8-9 am. I normally check out the deals in the flyers the night before and pick out a few things I would like to get. If i don't get them, I'm not that disappointed.  So, I looked in the flyers, but Walmart was the only store I thought had any deals.  I went in at about 8 am, and was surprised by how little lines there were, and people there were! There were people and it was busy,but no long lines, no hysterical people . (Although, talking to a woman at Kohl's she said someone was arrested in front of her at 5 am). 
I still am floored by our society's lack of reverence for what this holiday is all about.  Apparently, the big wanted item ( besides the tv's) were character pajamas for  $3. I got one of the last ones and a woman asked me about it. I told her where they were, then in a gesture of kindness, offered her mine. She was shocked. She declined, but added how nice I was to offer.  I'm thinking to myself " It's just pajamas!"  Have we become so far removed from the actual meaning of this holiday that we would not offer our neighbor a pair of $3 pajamas?
Perhaps the reason why we are quick to say " happy holidays" instead of "Merry Christmas"  is because God was already gone from this holiday for a long time,  we just made it official. 

No comments:

Post a Comment