Popular Posts

Friday, November 20, 2009

The Power of Culture

Culture is all around us. We can't get away from it. Think you can? Then, here's an assignment: try to go one day without engaging with any media. That means: no advertisements, no tv, no radio, no newspapers, no music, no books, no nothing that  influences you or your ideas about something. I actually had to do this once for an assignment for school for college. i actually didn't do too bad. I did my normal things, but made sure I didn't engage in my normal recreational activities, turned my head when I saw a billboard, etc. I did well, that is, until that day I was at work and broke my foot. I had to go to the hospital. When I was wheeled into the emergency room ( in a wheelchair), the first thing that greeted me was the sight and sound of the tv set playing from the waiting room. Game over. 
Whether we like it or not, we engage in culture everyday.  I have heard it said that we, as christians, should " be in the world, not of the world", as the bible dictates. This is true, but not exactly as it is used today. 
there used to be a time in this country where the church was at the center of every town, not just physically, but figuratively as well. Whenever there was a problem, people went to the church for guidance and support. This is, unfortunately not the case anymore. Someone just told me recently that a teenager told her friends her dad was a pastor, and her friends replied " What's that?" The church is slowly losing its voice in society, and its no one's fault but ours. 
What is we could get back to where the church "sets"' the trends of culture, rather than just merely mimic them and Christianize them. What if, instead of making shirts that say " faithbook" or "sonbucks" as opposed to Facebook and Starbucks,  we set trends that we saw mimicked in society. They say imitation is the best form of flattery. 
If we think we are anti-culture because we are Christians, I challenge you to rethink that. You can't say that in one breath, then walk into Walmart, and pick up the latest new Joel Osteen in another and not think you are participating in culture.  
I don't have a quick answer to how to change this ever-growing problem. However, I wonder if us modeling what we believe and letting people know what we are for rather than what we are against is a good place to start. 

No comments:

Post a Comment