Popular Posts

Thursday, January 27, 2011

The Verdict is in... for real

At long last I have finally spoken to the publisher. For those of you who have kept up with my ongoing saga, I'm sure you are waiting in suspense I have been for so many months.So, I won't keep you waiting anymore. Bottom line:
It's a no.
However, I came away very encouraged.
Why?
She began the conversation apologizing for the long wait, which I graciously accepted. Then, she proceeded to go page by page critiquing my work. She told my about my wording on some things that were confusing to her or needed to be rephrased. She also asked me to define my audience more clearly, and that would help with some of the words that I used. She also told me some ideas and paragraphs that she thought were stellar. After a half hour long conversation, I asked her the question burning in my mind: Where do we stand now?
She said 5 years ago she could take new authors like myself and take them under her wing and give them the start in the publishing business. She said they don't do that anymore. Therefore, there was nothing more her and I could talk about because I don't have the large platform they look for (authors like Francis Chan speak to hundreds of thousands of people and I don't have the same exposure). But she said, if I would like, she could take a look at my revisions and give her opinion on them. She also asked me if I had sent it to anyone else and when I replied no, she said make sure I keep pursuing it. She said I have something to say and that if I frame it in a tighter way, I could have something that could be published.
She also gave me a list of freelance editors that she knows that I could use. She encouraged me to return to the same conference I attended when I saw her (She Speaks)and re-pitch the second draft to another publisher. She became so engaged with my testimony about my parents that she actually asked me how my relationship was with them. So, I guess I left her wanting more, which is the goal of any author.
Overall, I walked away more encouraged. When she sent the list of editors in an e-mail, she thanked me for my listening ear and said it bodes well for my writing, and said I had a lot of good ideas and passion about my topic and hoped I was willing and able to pursue my manuscript.
Please keep praying as I consider what to do next: self- publish, return to a conference or give it to Zondervan publishing, who invited me to send a proposal when I met with them last year.

2 comments:

  1. Michelle,

    I loved meeting Terri at She Speaks, didn't you? She was so inviting, even then. I'm so sorry you won't be pursuing anything with David C. Cook but I praise the Lord for your encouraged heart! Trusting Him to use every moment of your life experience to bring Him glory. After all, that's what we want as writers--as His children--isn't it? To be used by Him, however the "using" comes about.

    Looking forward to seeing where your journey leads you next!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Michelle,
    I was thinking about you all day yesterday. What a great encouragement this publisher was for you. Not all publishers (editors) will do that for their published authors, let alone a prospective author. I'm so happy that she spent the time with you to encourage your heart and your writing and to take the time to give you her professional, concrete advice in such a loving way. I hope you continue to pursue God's vision for your writing. Looking forward to sharing the journey with you.
    Dawn

    ReplyDelete