Popular Posts

Monday, January 25, 2010

The Dangers of Church Shopping

I just got word from one of the couples in our church that they were not coming back. They suddenly felt that they were not called to our vision. Needless to say, I'm a bit hurt.  This is the 4th person that has done this. Coincidentally, they are all ages 45 and above. I don't know if this is a generational idea or what, but I don't know where discarding the body of Christ, whom you have committed to for the past few months, is biblical. The more research I do on the concept of adoption, the more I realize that if you claim to be a Christian, you have been adopted into Christ's family. Therefore, you have a whole new set of brothers and sisters- the church! God calls us to be in community with one another- Hebrews 11 speaks to that. But, what I don't understand is how someone can just forget about all of the people you have gotten to know, been in fellowship with, prayed with and for, etc. and then leave when you don't like the worship, or the preaching is not your style, without even a word goodbye? It's like saying to your real sibling: " This relationship is too hard, you annoy me too much, I've decided not to be a part of this family anymore." When things are tough, isn't that the best time to be a part of a church body? Furthermore, why do we expect that the church body is supposed to be perfect, when our own families contain their own dysfunction? The consumeristic nature of Christians has snuck its way into our churches, and it needs to be stopped. Can someone give me a bible reference as to the validity of consumerism? My mind seems to be going a bit blank today.....

No comments:

Post a Comment