Popular Posts

Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Of Little Importance

I talked with my mother-in-law yesterday and she told me a story about one of her staff that intrigued me. She told me that she passed by a staff member and she was cleaning the garbage pail lid. My mother-in-law said " I have never seen anyone do that before." To which the staff member replied "I am a neat freak." This in and of itself is nothing exciting, but it got me thinking about the fact that my mother-in-law never saw anyone taking the time to do the most menial of tasks. I'm sure it is not a part of her job description, or anyone's for that matter, but she took the time to make sure her workspace looked its best. That to me said a lot about this girl's character.
It reminded me of what Jesus said when he talked about the "least of these." Whenever we do a small thing for someone of little importance (water, feeding, etc.) Jesus is pleased, because it is like we are doing it for him. In the same way, this girl who took the extra time to do more than the required task pleases Jesus, too.
Do we take the extra time to do more than the required task, or do a small thing for someone of little importance?

No comments:

Post a Comment