Popular Posts

Wednesday, August 11, 2010

The Look

I've seen that look.
The look that signifies disappointment, frustration and hardship.
I know that look because I have expressed it myself many times before.
I saw that look again as I passed by a woman at the conference last week.
I didn't know her, but I felt her pain.
She didn't look directly at me.
She didn't have to. I saw her look away with tears streaming down her face.
I knew where she had just come from.
The large spiral bound folder in her hand told me everything I needed to know.
She had just been at a publisher meeting.
I know what they had said.
My mind raced back to high school when i saw that look.
During my sophomore year of high school, i ran for student council.
I had never run for anything before, and didn't think i could win.
Only the cool people got onto student council.
My look was one of surprise when my name was announced over the PA system as one of the winners.
I left the classroom ecstatic, only to see that look again.
That same look of disappointment, fear and frustration.
The look belonged to another classmate who ran for student council.
Her name was not called over the PA system.
Our eyes met as I made my way down to the school office.
I never forgot that look.
I knew what that look meant then.
I know what that same look means now.
I thank God today I didn't have that look.

No comments:

Post a Comment