Popular Posts

Wednesday, August 4, 2010

My favorite part

My most favorite time of my vacation is never the zoo, the shopping or the swimming, but the peace and quiet that comes from a long hard day of shopping, walking and sightseeing. I don't get much of that in my daily life, so it is a treat when I get to sit in that big, comfy chair overlooking a placid pond in our rental cabin. I love to sit in that chair for hours, inhaling the cool, clean air that is a staple of life in Maine. It is here that I write, or think, or read or pray. It is also here that I spend quality time with God. This is also something that comes in small quantities in my life, so when I have those moments, I try to take them as often as I can. My husband goes fishing in the evening and the kids, worn out from the day, fall asleep to the gleam of their TV screen playing their favorite video. I become one with nature, in a sense, enjoying the riches of God's creation in a way not presented to me in my home in CT. It brings home Psalm 119 which says 
 The heavens declare the glory of God; 
       the skies proclaim the work of his hands. 2 Day after day they pour forth speech;
       night after night they display knowledge.
 3 There is no speech or language
       where their voice is not heard. [a]
 4 Their voice [b] goes out into all the earth,
       their words to the ends of the world.
       In the heavens he has pitched a tent for the sun,
 5 which is like a bridegroom coming forth from his pavilion,
       like a champion rejoicing to run his course.
 6 It rises at one end of the heavens
       and makes its circuit to the other;
       nothing is hidden from its heat.
 7 The law of the LORD is perfect,
       reviving the soul.
       The statutes of the LORD are trustworthy,
       making wise the simple.

It is in the quietness and stillness that the mountains are more majestic than I can fathom, the skies are more vast than the world can hold and the sovereignty of God is greater than my mind can comprehend.


No comments:

Post a Comment