Popular Posts

Thursday, March 4, 2010

We are children of God

"  How great is the love the Father has lavished on us, that we should be called children of God! For that is what we are...." ( 1 John 3:1).
I have been reflecting on this as I'm doing background info. on the letters of John for my book. John was a pastor who planted churches in  and around Ephesus.  He had some harsh words to say for those in his church body, especially because he was writing it in the middle of a church split. I am floored by how many times he calls those that don't love each other liars. And people think I am harsh in dealing with them! But, then the tone changes in chapter three, and he calls us to remember who we are in Him, and that is we are His children, and he loves us.
Now, I can't imagine the pain John felt as his own people rose up against him. But, he chooses to remind us of this truth in the midst of his pain. He chooses to live out what he is telling these people to do. He chooses to be a model for them.
Are you living in the truth that you are God's child? Do you act as a model for this in the midst of pain and trial?

No comments:

Post a Comment