Popular Posts

Thursday, March 25, 2010

Be intellectually honest

I have been watching this season of American Idol, and have already picked who i think should be in the forefront to go to the finals. But, I have a question? When did screaming become singing? Siobhan Darcy does nothing but scream the last notes of every song, and the judges, for the most part, love it.  They did the same thing with Adam Lambert last year. It is like they have her pegged as the female Adam Lambert. Three years ago, they would have said it was screechy, now it is the cat's meow?
My point is that I'm tired of being told who has talent and who doesn't simply because the judges, who know talent, tell me they do. It was the same last year, and frankly, I'm not buying it.
in the same way, it is with our walk with Christ. Do I do things simply because the Bible says so? Or because a pastor tells me to? Doesn't that seem a bit intellectually dishonest?
I'm not against the bible, and try my hardest to follow it. But, because I read something, doesn't mean it is necessarily good to do it.
I read a bumper sticker that said " God said it, I believe it, that settles it".  While I understand the sentiment behind it, there are many leaders that misinterpret the bible. Should I believe them too simply because they said so?
I need to be intellectually honest and wrestle through it and to chew on it like " spiritual meat", not " spiritual milk".  If it jives with my beliefs, then I can accept it. There is nothing wrong with questioning, my questioning allowed my conversion experience to take place.
I hope you do the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment