Popular Posts

Tuesday, March 30, 2010

introduction to the Disciple Whom Jesus Loved


Imagine you are  riding the pristine waters of the Tiberian Sea.  As you overlook the  horizon, the sun greets you with a warmth  known only  in this part of the world. Your boat bobs and sways as you inhale the mixture of salt and sand  common to someone in your line of work. You wipe the sweat off your brow  as you pull your net from the newly disturbed waters,  struggling to contain your catch of the day.  You sneak a peek at the shore to find a  strangely familiar figure  standing on the edge. You know who has filled your net to overflowing.  Your chest fills with excitement as your heart races to keep up with your equally rapid pulse.  Your tongue touches the roof of your mouth and scrambles to find the words to communicate all your mind is thinking. You utter  the one word unknown to your present company,  yet bonds you and the stranger together forever.
            The figure standing on the shore is Jesus. And you are the disciple whom Jesus loved.
            I wish I could say the main character in this story is me and that I am writing  about a familiar exchange with my Lord.   I would love to say that. I exhibit  the same attributes of John, the man whom most scholars agree is the disciple whom Jesus loved.

I wish I could say that.  But, I can’t. Not now, anyway.
I don’t think I have the same kind of relationship John and Jesus had as they spent time together during Jesus’ ministry.   They had something special. They had the kind of relationship that allowed John to proudly refer to himself  on several occasions in his own writing as the disciple whom Jesus loved.

Now, at first glance, this might seem a bit  haughty of John. I mean, John had that kind of  attitude already right?  Fighting with his brother over whom would sit at Jesus’ right hand and calling fire down  on soldiers who would not receive Jesus are  common actions of this prominent leader and  trusted friend of Jesus.

But, John had  qualities the other disciples didn’t.  Things like loyalty, willingness, and faithfulness. These were the things to which  John became most known.  He exuded these qualities, and these qualities ,in turn, were the pillars to which the church he founded as pastor.   He loved Jesus.  And Jesus loved him.

I’m not saying Jesus doesn’t love me. I know he does.  I’ve seen His unintelligible grace and unfailing mercy during the darkest hours of my days.  I have also seen His abundant provision and blessing with which I have been able to bless others.  I know He loves me. I’ve seen it too much to deny it.

I may not be the disciple that Jesus loved yet, but I’m getting there. I’m trying. Everyday I wake up  on the hunt for the broken and the oppressed.  I find opportunities to  meet the needs of those who need it  and I do it.   Or, at least I try.  My heart’s desire is to know Jesus in the same intimate way as John and  I live my life in faithfulness to this desire.

That is the reason why I am writing this book.  As I muddle through this  journey toward a deeper walk with  Christ,  I want to share my  thoughts and struggles with you.  Maybe you will learn from them and not make the same mistakes I  have made.  Or,  perhaps you will find yourself running with a fervor and desire that compels you to run to see your Savior  more quickly than me. My prayer is for the latter.

Come aboard this boat and journey with me and put on  the characteristics that made John this brother of Jesus.  Then, we can sail until we reach our  final destination: becoming the disciple whom Jesus loved. 


No comments:

Post a Comment