Popular Posts

Friday, March 19, 2010

They were devoted to the breaking of bread

Now, I like to eat just as much as anyone, but to be devoted to it is another story. Yet, the Early Church made it a priority.
Do you remember as a kid sitting around the table eating supper together as a family? I do. There was rarely a tome when we didn't eat dinner together. but, that is where the bonding really took place. Even now, as I have children, we will have dinner around 6 pm to talk about our days and have a real conversation. See, everything stops when we are having dinner. In that half hour, I'm not concerned about work or the next thing I have to do. The only thing I am focused on is chowing down. I don't know if what conversations went on during the Early Church, but is that from what the prayers were based? 
Now, I think the verse here might mean the communion aspect ( celebrating Jesus' body and blood) here, that they were devoted to keeping Christ the center and " remembering" Him, but what if they did eat dinner together? Is that so far fetched? Jesus was called a glutton on a few accounts for His love of eating with His people. 
So, if Jesus' ministry oftentimes revolved around filling His face, shouldn't ours too?
What kind of conversation will you have around your dinner table tonight?

No comments:

Post a Comment