Popular Posts

Wednesday, July 14, 2010

The Perfect Outfit 2

I took out my high school graduation dress with a vision. It had been 10 years since my last days as a high school student, and that dress instantly flooded me with memories of prom, Spanish class and the big "boat"  known as the driver's ed. car. I put it on, and to my surprise, it fit.
It was going to be a good day.
That was, of course, until I heard a small #rip# that turned these great memories into instant regret.
I tried with all my might, contorting my body in so many ways to get it off  I would have made the Ringling Bros. applaud with delight.
Frantic, I grabbed the kitchen shears from the knife block and began chipping away. In what seemed like a second, my dress was shredded into  a million pieces, and with it my hopes.
The question I want to ask you, reader, is this: Why was I so adamant about wearing this dress?
Was it because I still liked the dress and thought it would be a nice addition to the week's sunday service?
Or, were my priorities in the wrong place and God, in His grace, was teaching me a lesson?
I was focusing on the wrong thing.
If I had put my hope in God and not in what I looked like, or what the dress symbolized, the fact that I had to take the kitchen shears to it would not have disappointed me so much.
For me to put that dress on only to achieve bragging rights would not have encouraged me or anyone else that came my way that day.
It was a lesson in humility I have not forgotten, and probably won't for a long time.
Are your eyes focused on the wrong things today?

No comments:

Post a Comment