Popular Posts

Friday, October 30, 2009

The Missional Side of Halloween

I was a perfect parent. Until I had kids, of course.  I know most churches frown upon the idea of letting the kids go trick-or-treating or giving out candy. I appreciate the sentiment and the message churches are sending.  We have always participated in it. Here's why.  The more I look into Scripture, the more I find God is calling us to be His "sent" people .  Everywhere, in all places, everyday.  Even at Halloween, where I would not want to waste an incredible opportunity to meet a neighbor, build a friendship, invite someone over whom I want to get to know better. unfortunately, i don't gather with my neighbors as often as I should. sometimes Halloween is the only time i see some of them. I don't want to be the house where the kids say " Here's that pastor's house that didn't want to give out any candy." I want my door to ALWAYS  be open and a safe one. If a kid ever needed a place to go that was safe, I want them to know they can come to my door.  As a matter of fact, we met one of our neighbors, built a friendship with them, and my husband performed their wedding ceremony. They also invited another couple to their wife's 30th birthday party and introduced us to another couple who was interested in hearing more about our church and its values. All this for participating in Halloween.  
So, that's my side of the situation. I respect all opinions on it and their reasons behind it.  You may not like my take on things. That's ok.   Then again, they didn't like much of what Jesus had to say either.  I guess i am in good company. 

No comments:

Post a Comment