Popular Posts

Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Be a Defender

Lately I have been dealing with a situation in my professional life where someone was using an inappropriate tone with someone else. The situation became one in which (since I witnessed it) I had to intervene. This situation was not new to me, but was becoming an abusive one, and I needed to act quickly to protect all involved. As I watched the situation unfold, I heard God say " Be a defender." Deuteronomy 10:18 says "He defends the cause of the fatherless and the widow, and loves the foreigner residing among you..."
This seems like an odd request, given I am not a father, or a widow. It also is in sharp contrast to verses like Matthew 5:38-42 that says " “You have heard that it was said, ‘Eye for eye, and tooth for tooth.' But I tell you, do not resist an evil person. If anyone slaps you on the right cheek, turn to them the other cheek also. And if anyone wants to sue you and take your shirt, hand over your coat as well. If anyone forces you to go one mile, go with them two miles. Give to the one who asks you, and do not turn away from the one who wants to borrow from you."
Most Christians believe we should always "turn the other cheek". But, what if the situation is becoming abusive? Does Jesus advocate for victims to swallow their pride and security in order to be in compliance with this biblical principle? While I do think we should hold loosely to our possessions, our pride and our self-image, I think there is a line between abuse and grace. Although grace should abound, abuse should not. Sometimes the best thing that I can do as a Christian is to stand up for those who cannot stand up for themselves. Which leads me to think " which do I defend more often: my rights or the rights of others?"

No comments:

Post a Comment