Popular Posts

Thursday, May 6, 2010

Father to the Fatherless

Deuteronomy 10:18 says "He defends the cause of the fatherless and the widow, and loves the alien, giving him food and clothing."
I attended my daughter's Mother's Day Tea with great excitement. It is a program where they honor the mothers with a gift, songs and a special drawing if their mom. As I was waiting, I saw a boy who had no mother to sit with him. One of the teachers sat with him in an effort to stand in for his mother. Perhaps she couldn't get out of work. Perhaps dad has primary custody. whatever the case, my heart went out to this boy. I can only imagine he missed his mom at that moment. A moment that no matter how hard he tries, he can never get back.
I immediately thought of this verse. God defends the fatherless (or in this case, motherless). I was thankful at that moment that I was able to attend, and thankful to my boss for allowing me to go. In that moment, I was also thankful for my Father, who has been my Father (and my mother) in moments when my own parents could not. Are there people in your life whom you can (or should) learn to be a Father to the Fatherless?

No comments:

Post a Comment