Popular Posts

Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Better to Give than to Receive

Many times as a child i heard these words" It is better to give than to receive." I never believed them, because the anticipation of Christmas Day overshadowed any gift I picked out at the church bazzarr. But, not I understand,it really is more about the joy of giving than receiving during the Christmas season.
I know I have gotten way more joy wrapping little surprises for my kids on Christmas morning, or helping out a co worker who has no money for gifts, or giving a token of appreciation to the women at the local shop that I see throughout the year than on any gift that come wrapped under the tree. Perhaps because Isaiah 58:10-11 speaks on this topic:
If you do away with the yoke of oppression, 
   with the pointing finger and malicious talk, 
 and if you spend yourselves in behalf of the hungry 
   and satisfy the needs of the oppressed, 
then your light will rise in the darkness, 
   and your night will become like the noonday. 
The LORD will guide you always; 
   he will satisfy your needs in a sun-scorched land 
   and will strengthen your frame. 
You will be like a well-watered garden, 
   like a spring whose waters never fail. 
Yes, the joy lies more in the giving than in the receiving. After all, didn't God give us His son?

No comments:

Post a Comment