Popular Posts

Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Forgiveness isn't Cheap

I learned a hard lesson in forgiveness this week. I had a coworker verbally attack me in front of my boss. It was especially hard because I considered this person not only a coworker but also a friend. I felt completely betrayed, and was unsure how to consider our future working relationship. The relationship is still strained, but I know God doesn't want me to keep it that way. I searched my heart on the matter and still wished the best for them, but was still trying to work through he process of forgiveness.
While this person was hurling insults, I identified with Christ in a new way. I'm sure the physical beating he endured were brutal, but I think the emotional pain he must have felt that only one person bothered to come see him lose he very life He openly gave to everyone he came in contact with. That was how I felt with this person. I spent time with them, said no unkind words about them to anyone,and stuck up for them when others judged their work performance. I felt like I did everything I could to be a good friend, and received nothing but scoffing in return. It cut me to the core, and I'm sure as his body slowly suffocated him, the neglect and betrayal of Jesus' closest allies took his breath away long before that. It cost him quite a bit for us to receive the freedom of forgiveness. How does he repay them? "Forgive them, Father, for they know not what they do.."
My response to this coworker should be the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment