Many times as a child i heard these words" It is better to give than to receive." I never believed them, because the anticipation of Christmas Day overshadowed any gift I picked out at the church bazzarr. But, not I understand,it really is more about the joy of giving than receiving during the Christmas season.
I know I have gotten way more joy wrapping little surprises for my kids on Christmas morning, or helping out a co worker who has no money for gifts, or giving a token of appreciation to the women at the local shop that I see throughout the year than on any gift that come wrapped under the tree. Perhaps because Isaiah 58:10-11 speaks on this topic:
If you do away with the yoke of oppression,
with the pointing finger and malicious talk,
and if you spend yourselves in behalf of the hungry
and satisfy the needs of the oppressed,
then your light will rise in the darkness,
and your night will become like the noonday.
The LORD will guide you always;
he will satisfy your needs in a sun-scorched land
and will strengthen your frame.
You will be like a well-watered garden,
like a spring whose waters never fail.
Yes, the joy lies more in the giving than in the receiving. After all, didn't God give us His son?
A wife. a mother. A pastor's wife. Above all, a Christ follower.
Popular Posts
-
Col. 4:5-6 "Be wise in the way you act toward outsiders; make the most of every opportunity. Let your conversation be always full of ...
-
We do what benefits us the most. If we were honest, we would agree with that statement. I know I do. Not all the time. But sometimes. I wish...
-
Choose life in the midst of death- John 5: 19-23: " On his arrival, Jesus found that Lazarus had already been in the tomb for four day...
-
The more research I do on John, the more I come to know and understand who he was. As most of you know, I am wrestling with why John was cal...
-
If you feel included while others are excluded, you don't have true community. If you hang out with the same people, and never venture ...
-
It has been 3 months now since I sent out my book proposal to David C. Cook publishing and I have not heard anything yet. I'm hoping thi...
-
I went onto Youtube the other day and watched Adam Lambert's performance on Oprah. now, I'm embarrassed to admit I actually liked th...
-
Pastor Bill Huegel preached at our church a few weeks ago, and he spoke about the Lord's prayer. He explained what the passage on how to...
-
I took my son to Starbucks with me yesterday so I could do some writing. He asked if he could bring his computer and do games on it, which I...
-
We were at the zoo the other day, and this zoo has some kiddie rides. Since we have gone to this zoo every year since the kids were born, we...
No comments:
Post a Comment